Click here for SFR on MySpace

Saturday, May 03, 2008

weighted down by hair

So here I am in Washington, DC, my need for coffee having overwhelmed my legendarily poor sense of direction such that I was actually able to map out a route from N street to K street. Look, Ma, I know the alphabet! I realize for most people being able to negotiate a four-block walk wouldn't seem like a big deal, but I am someone capable of getting lost just walking around a block, so I am feeling pretty snazzy right now, aside from the fact that thanks to the humidity my hair has, overnight, expanded fivefold and I can barely lift my head.
I am staying in the world's cutest bed and breakfast. I say this objectively because, unfortunately, I am not a fan of B & Bs. Not being able to turn on the news (because there is no TV) makes me feel as though anything might have happened since I got here, as if I have been completely cut off from the rest of the world. Because I haven't watched CNN in 12 hours. Uh huh, I know what you're thinking: Get help.
I didn't sleep very well. I kept having nightmares that I was living in a thrift store and the owner kept making me try on old sweaters she had for sale. This is what sleeping in a B & B apparently wreaks on my sub-conscious. Still, objectively speaking, it's a very cute B & B, the restaurant downstairs where I ate last night with the AAN membership committee was really good, the neighborhood is awesome, all brick buildings, blooming flowers, ivy creeping up walls, that kind of thing. A great architectural and aesthetic vaca from the dry, windy environs of SF. If it weren't for my hair, which I swear just expanded more while I was writing this, all would be grand. I fly home tomorrow morning, super early. This is a quick, quick trip, so I don't know that I'll get to do much besides eat and meet, although there is some talk of going to a News Museum later and, if that happens, I will definitely tag along. After all, maybe they will have CNN, yes?