Click here for SFR on MySpace

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I think I'm turning Japanese

No, I really don't think so. Unlike some people I've known, I've never had a fascination with any other culture or a desire to appropriate it or live somewhere else. I belong to no land and no one. On the other hand, Japan does have several appealing components: I wouldn't be considered particularly short there AND I'd be surrounded by sushi.
The Times has had a least a few trend features that I filed (mentally) under the tag: Things Are Weird in Japan.
The first related to the the ubiquitous use of QR Code in Japan. Which is totally Minority Report and, thus, I am kind of obsessed with it. (Yes, yesterday's post was in QR code. I was kind of inspired to do that after Zane sent me an email in QR code. Maybe the entire paper could be in QR code from now on?)
Growing so popular, the code is now turning up on scarves for cripe's sake.
But nothing, NOTHING, I tell you, has stuck in my brain as much as this story about people dressing up as soda machines in Japan to hide from attackers. I have brought this up in conversation dozens of times since I read the story; I just can't get over the photograph. Love it.