Click here for SFR on MySpace

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

something that confuses me

I've never really understood the justification for The Weekly Alibi continuing to run Jerry Ortiz y Pino's column now that he's a state legislator. We used to run a column by Jerry as well, but when he decided to run for office, we stopped. I don't think public officials should get a regular forum in the newspaper, and candidates can't either, as it's unfair to the other candidates. Ortiz y Pino writes a nice column; we enjoyed having him in SFR, for sure. But, ya know, you want to be a politician, you can't be a journalist. This view, which I hold, is not, as far as I know, unusual. So I'm perusing Altweeklies.com, and I come across Jerry's column on why Richardson could be president, read it over, remain unconvinced and then notice that they aren't even identifying him as a state legislator. Am I reading poorly? Is there a tagline anywhere? So the top story on a site for altweekly journalism is a push for the Dem governor by one of his Dem legislators? Anyone else find this weird?