Click here for SFR on MySpace

Friday, April 13, 2007

no comment

I'm always fascinated (OK, mildly interested) to see the most e-mailed/most commented stories on other media Web sites; particularly when they are unexpected topics. For example, I wasn't surprised to see the Don Imus story getting lots of comments, since that's all anyone wants to talk to me about. Actually, several people have asked me what I think about it. Here's what I think: 1. Don Imus is a racist imbecile and he's been a racist and an imbecile for a long time. Yes, I support free speech but I'm glad he was fired. I don't think people should make money off of saying racist comments. As for the hip hop/Imus connection, Russell Simmons says it better than I could. Is there way too much really bad hip hop that demeans women in the same way Imus did? Yah, there sure is. This was the topic of the hip hop forum at CSF I attended not long ago, in fact. Barbara Ehreinreich makes some interesting points in this article. At the end of the day, all I can say, is I'd take Snoop Dog over Imus any day, but I can take or leave Snoop Dog in a heartbeat. But if the Imus situation means we end up with more hip hop like this and less hip hop like this, then I guess it's a good thing.
I'm a little surprised this was an article in the "most posted" category.