Click here for SFR on MySpace

Friday, February 16, 2007




Greetings from DC. The Hotel Washington is located right by lots of famous national monument type thingies (and has great views from the roof, although one can not step out onto the outdoor terrace, I was told, or one will be shot by snipers from across the way. This doesn't seem like the kind of information one should just pick up in casual conversation). Anyway, I've yet to see any of the exciting spots because, in my inimitable way, I landed yesterday, had dinner with some nice folks from other altweeklies, went back to my room and promptly began to throw up for the entire night, well into the morning, stopping, conveniently enough, half an hour before my talk, which I delivered shakily between sips of gingerale. I then went to a committee meeting (which the committee chairwoman was smart enough to tell me needed to be kept to myself or I'd be talking about it here), dropped by the reception, gave away my free drink tickets (a sure sign that life is sucking) and came back to my room where, based on how I'm feeling, I will be staying and passing out in. Soon. Fun! Love to fly across the country only to be sick in a tiny hotel room.
In reality, I could probably leave tomorrow, skip the rest of the conference, but I think I'd have to pay a charge on my ticket and I'm hoping, really hoping, I feel better in the morning so I can do some sightseeing. I will feel like an ass if I flew across the country to talk for an hour and throw up. Needless to say, I can talk for an hour and throw up at home.
That's all for now, folks.