Click here for SFR on MySpace

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

overheard in my boyfriend's car

Last night, on the way home from a drink at The Blue Corn, I mentioned to the boy that I was having lunch today with a movie producer who was a producer on a movie he likes (I know, he's a major horror film geek) and we began discussing which famous people we'd be excited to meet (me: David Bowie; him: no one). Then he said:

"I was excited when I met Bill Richardson" (the guv was at our Best of Santa Fe party last year (he won 2nd for best politician; he won first in 2005).

Me:
"Really? Did you hear he's running for president?" (I know it seems impossible to imagine someone in NM yesterday who didn't know that information but if there were to be such a person it could easily be the boy who somehow manages to live, blissfully news-free quite often)
Boy: "Yes. I'm going to register to vote so I can vote for him." (Yes. I am dating someone who isn't registered to vote. I know.)
Me: "Really?"
Boy: "I think he'd make a good president. He seems down to earth. A little sleezy and for the people."
Me: "Did you just say 'a little sleezy and for the people?'
Boy: "Yes. And he seems like he's done a pretty good job as governor. I feel like I support most of the things he's for. Except maybe the ban on cockfighting."
Me: YOU DON'T SUPPORT THE BAN ON COCKFIGHTING? (I think in every relationship there is a moment where you wonder if you have accidentally been dating a crazy person)
Boy: "I just don't have an opinion on it because I don't know anything about it (ME: as if knowing about an issue was a prerequisite for having an opinion?)
Me: "Well then you'll have to read my interview in tomorrow's paper."
Boy: "Oh, who's it with?"
Me: A rooster.