Click here for SFR on MySpace

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

water water everywhere

but not a drop to drink.
Well, I guess there ain't water everywhere, not for long.
This story gave me a cold chill, as I really think it foreshadows our future, where water IS for sale by corporations and we're all in a Dune-like environment. (Yes, I am a geek or, apparently, a nerd not a geek. The boy and I had a long discussion the other night about the differences between geeks, freaks and nerds. Actually by discussion I mean he delivered a long explanation to me).
Anyway, a future where water is scarce and controlled by corporations ain't exactly sci-fi whimsy.
Anyway, I won't risk being repetitive since I wrote about this almost two years ago, but those books I recommended are quite good. Ya know, if you're bored or in the mood to get freaked-out and paranoid about the future.
On another note, what is wrong with Eric Serna?. You'd think that after his congressional debaucle he'd have learned something. (I can't believe that was almost 10 years ago. It seems like it was yesterday. Why is time going by so quickly? Why am I getting so old? OK, Julia, focus and back to the non-paranthetical portion of our blog). Clearly he has not. The thing about Serna I find puzzling is that having interviewed and spent what is clearly an unhealthy amount of time around politicians I would say that generally the ones that are up to something (Cough, cough, Robert Vigil. Clear throat, cough: David Chavez et. al, you kind of get a vibe from them (or, in Vigil's case, a chill). But Serna, for what it's worth, really and truly just doesn't seem to get it. Not that it excuses or changes anything, but I swear to God after the jewelry scandal, I went to a press conference where he spoke and he choked up and was practically weeping as he proclaimed his innocence and talked about his family. (And for some reason I feel like I remember David Roybal having something to do with that speech. But don't hold me to that! My memory is not entirely reliable these days, what with the incessant totally unfair ageing situation.
Anyway, one of the New Mex's commentators thinks Serna should resign as insurance superintendent and take full-time ethics classes. You know what? Not a terrible idea. The thing is, there must be SOME way to actually train public officials to understand and follow ethical guidelines. It's not rocket science and God knows the public seems to get it (although they don't always seem to get it enough to stop electing certain people).
OK, enough ranting. I need to go find someone to interview.