Click here for SFR on MySpace

Thursday, September 22, 2005

pets & disasters

I have to admit that during the worst of the katrina coverage, while glued to CNN, the stories where people wouldn't leave their pets got to me and I would randomly get up and clutch whatever dog was closest to me. I lately feel as though I am running an old dogs' home as I am surrounded by large aging beasts at all times who spend most of their time sleeping (it is possible that they have just become bored out of their minds by my own near-listlessness when not at work). At any rate, now there is a bill proposed to require pets be a part of evacuation funds so that people don't refuse to leave because they won't leave their pets. I'm sure there are some out there (Bill Reilly comes to mind; I know some people watch FOX news for news and some for entertainment value but I have to say I find it unnerving) might think this is ridiculous and/or link animal lovers with leftie wingnuts but I think most of us would agree that loving creatures in your care, regardless of species, is a good sign, a signal that one's humanity is relatively intact. But I'm going to refrain from another tirade on humanity. A New Mexican employee stopped me on the street the other day and implied that my blog had given him the sense, of late, that I had lost faith in humanity and I sure don't want people thinking I'm some kind of misanthropic cynic. Actually, in truth, I don't think I am; If I didn't have some belief in people I doubt I'd find evidence of man's inhumanity to man upsetting, I'd just see it as proof I was right. Or something. Anyway, Mr. Monahan has some great stuff on the treasurer's fiasco that y'all should check out if you haven't already.