Click here for SFR on MySpace

Friday, July 01, 2005

from the folks who brought you the lawsuits at the county jail!

I do not want Santa Fe County to buy The Paramount and all surrounding buildings in the Guadalupe/Sandoval Street areas and make them into county buildings (I'd link to the article, but for some reason I can't find it on The New Mexican's Web site, even though it's the top-of-the-fold story in the paper edition; go figure). Wednesday night, when the club was supposed to be open one last time and wasn't, I sat in front of the Bar B doors for a few minutes (well, 30 seconds; I'm not very patient) and looked at the chains on the door, the P decal and, inside, the Chicanobuilt sticker on top of the Bar B doors, and thought, well, that's it. And it is. But, you know what, there is nothing worse for a city purporting to care about economic development and vibrancy of culture to fill up its downtown blocks with government offices, unaffordable residential real estate and stores for tourists doesn't cut it. That's called a retirement town. God it pisses me off the more I think about it. They are going to ruin the Guadalupe District which, right now, is hella more interesting than the Plaza has been for a long time. Move Blue Monkey! Yeah, buy a downtown nighclub, put a cutting-edge hair salon out of business. Jesus, why don't you just make anyone under 60 go live under a rock. Argh!
New Mex also had a story about the lawsuit against the county for its treatment over former inmate Jimmy Villaneuvawho died in jail from cancer. We broke that story, folks, in April, 2003. If you want to read writer Dan Frosch's original reporting on Jimmy from April, 2003, click here.
Finally, why is that song, "a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down" stuck in my head? Jonanna thinks it's from feeding Lalo, Darius' sick cat, his antibiotics. I'm guessing I had some sort of Mary Poppins dream last night which I have, thankfully, surpressed.