Click here for SFR on MySpace

Monday, May 16, 2005

superblitz, saturation, let's call the whole thing off

Hmm. Just got a press release from the city announcing the results of the police department's weekend DWI Superblitz (no definition included so I can't tell you how a superblitz differs from a saturation, perhaps only in level of annoyance). First things first, I was mistaken when I told you the DWI checkpoint last night on Airport Road was going southbound. It was actually for westbound traffic. I knew as I wrote that that I was probably screwing up. I have a terrible sense of direction and have pretty much mastered the concept of "turn left," but not much else. OK, here's the stats on the city's weekend "superblitz"
Saturday's checkpoint was on Agua Fria and Camino De Chelly.
413 cars went through.
Three drivers were tested because they had been drinking, but they were released.
One was arrested for having an open container.
A transport officer "in route back to the checkpoint made one DWI arrest." (Don't ask me, I'm just telling you what it said).
The Airport Road checkpoint had 536 vehicles go through it.
Five drivers who had been drinking were tested
five people were cited for open containers.
No DWI arrests were made.

I'm not great at math, but here's what I've come up with. 999 cars were stopped at checkpoints this weekend. One person was arrested for drunk driving and one person was arrested for having an open container.