Click here for SFR on MySpace

Monday, March 14, 2005

The Journal's Suggestions for John

I'm a little surprised that the Journal North thinks John Grubesic should…ok, wait, what is it they want him to do?
According to the Sunday edition's editorial hedline, they think "Grubesic Should Consider Quitting." (And as a side note, the tax vote on Tuesday got three paragraphs; Grubesic got about 12.
Now, I didn't spare a whole lot of ink to the city's water election either. What is there to say? No one wants to raise taxes and there is probably no one who has much faith in the city's ability to govern or manage much of anything. Nonetheless, we need water, water cost money and gross receipts' taxes at least come out of everyones' pockets, not just residents. It will, hopefully, mitigate increases to the water bills down the line.
But the Grubesic editorial I find very odd.
First off, it's not an editorial that says "John, Resign." Its point, I think, is found in the final sentences:

"As a citizen and, incidentally, as an officer of the court, Grubesic got this one dead wrong. We think he should consider resigning."

There are two things to think about here. First off, as citizens, most of us get shit wrong on a constant basis. It's barely 2 pm and at bare minimum, I'm pretty sure I speeded on the way to work, ran a yellow light and probably failed to adequately take into account the snowy roads by observing caution or, at least, wiping off my windshield. Based on my observations, my fellow citizens, on a daily basis, break any number of laws. We talk on our cell phones while driving, ignore pedestrians, switch lanes without using turn signals. I'm sure some of us get in the car when we've had a drink or two over the course of the evening (I don't do this, but I am a horrible lightweight) and maybe we shouldn't.
Should lawmakers be above the law? That would be fantastic. I've yet to see any evidence of it happening, but it sounds like a swell plan to me.
Should Grubesic consider resigning because he's an officer of the court? If he's violated his duties as an officer of the court, then he should resign from being a lawyer.
But, as far as I know, there are no ethical standards that govern the mess Grubesic has gotten himself into.
So should he consider resigning?
Sure, he should consider a variety of things: an exclusive interview with SFR on the entire situation; psychotherapy; a public apology with 50 hours of donated community service. I don't know.
But, I'll tell ya, given the growing conservatism in our elected officials, I'd just as soon hold onto a guy who barely has taken office but, thus far, seems to be on the left of the middle-left where most of our elected officials sit.
Resign? OK, that's one way to make it clear you've screwed up, you're sorry and you realize the ramifications of what you've done. It will be a wasted sign, because someone else will just come along and take the seat. Maybe someone better. Maybe someone much, much worse.
There are many other ways Grubesic can set about mending this right. What if this is something that will never happen again? Even remotely? What if there are years of good public service left in the guy?
I don't know the answers. I don't live in John Grubesic's head (Being John Grubesic?). But he does. He should be asking himself those questions. I'm guessing he already is.