Click here for SFR on MySpace

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

It's Here

What's here? Well, let's see. More snow (thrilling). This week's SFR (a must-read story by Zelie Pollon about what it's been like reporting on the war in Iraq. If the CNN reporters are at one end of the journalism spectre (that would be the low end) Zelie is at the farthest other end, really putting her life on the line and trying to get an important story out.
And where does that leave me? Oh, well, at my desk editing sections of Annual Manual, eating an apple and wishing it were a brownie and hoping that by 6:30 pm I'll have something interesting to say to a group of College of Santa Fe journalism students I'm supposed to "lecture" for an hour (poor, poor young people). I had our industrious intern photocopy a bunch of journalism articles I like to foist on people at various times. It's odd because when I talk to groups, as I do from time to time, I can usually be somewhat engaging, but when I talk to students I always feel as though I am boring everyone to death, which makes me nervous, which makes me talk FASTER as if somehow I think I will be less boring if I speak quickly. Kind of like what I'm doing right now, except I'm just typing quickly.
The Journal Santa Fe today has two stories relating to nukes on the front page that I found interesting. The first, that Lockheed Martin is going to bid to run LANL. If you really want some more info on Lockheed Martin from the anti-nuke perspective, check out Helen Caldicott, particularly her book The New Nuclear Danger. I interviewed Caldicott…at some point, but I can't seem to lay my hands on that interview at the moment, so...
Ahem. The other story is about the fact that City Councilor Miguel Chavez wants to put the city on issue with a resolution opposing nuclear weapons and calling for the dismantling of nuclear weapons. City Councilor David Pfeffer thinks the city shouldn't talk about things not in its purview. Now, to be honest, a few years back I kind of agreed with Pfeffer that it was silly for the city to sit around passing resolutions about things it didn't control, but I don't feel that way anymore. Frankly, I feel glad I live in a city going on record as opposing hate crimes, being immigrant friendly, being against The Patriot Act, being against nuclear weapons. We live in times when people are becoming afraid to make their views known, in which conservatism is becoming insidious and religious influence overbearing. I want to know where our elected officials stand on social issues, whether they can control them or not, because leadership isn't just about potholes and budgets, it's also about beliefs and courage to speak out.
And now, back to annual manual, which is about proofreading and checking the veracity of phone numbers.