Click here for SFR on MySpace

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

The Latino Wave, Big Trucks and more

Well, everything is very hectic these days, made more so, somehow, by car trouble. This week I am driving a 1980 Suburban lent to me by my friends after my little Hyundai sort of blew up on St. Francis Drive. While it's great to have any vehicle, and while there is a certain Right to Power feeling allowed by driving a truck this big, I will be happy to be back to my small and zippy and non gas-guzzling Korean import.
On a more relevent note, The Association of Alternative Newsweeklies has posted an article on how alternative newsweeklies are handling politics this year, with a shout out to The Hip Hop Voter Project. We have two upcoming events. The New Voters Project will be in attendance at The Reporter's 30th anniversary block party June 30 at our offices, 132 East Marcy Street and The Progressive Alliance for Community Empowerment will host voter registration July 2 at The Paramount.
Meanwhile, I am off to AAN's annual conference in San Antonio later in the week where I will moderate a panel on alternative political coverage by the media. Meanwhile, pick up the June 23 issue of The Reporter to read my interview with Jorge Ramos, which I also will hopefully post to AAN's AAN's story sharing website. If you haven't been to this site yet, I would highly recommend it—it's a great resource for progressive journalism all around the country.
OK, back to dealing with the Best of Santa Fe issue!